Unable to start kde session on display :1

Platform: Intel PII 233
	  debian sarge (testing/unstable)
	  xserver-xfree86 4.2.1-12.1
	  kdm 3.1.3-1

I have an X server using kdm to handle sessions on the Ctrl-Alt-F7
display, and I'm trying to start a second X server also handled by kdm
on the Ctrl-Alt-F8'display, using xinit.

The xinit command writes out the following error message multiple
times, before it dies:

  AUDIT: Sat Dec  6 09:56:19 2003: 29803 X: client 1 rejected from local host
  Xlib: No protocol specified
  ..

>From the error message it looks like the problem is releated to the X
server on display :1 disallowing access to kdm.  Is this a correct
assumption?

If so, how to I open access?

Some details:

I've logged in as root on the Ctrl-Alt-F1 console, and am trying to
use the following command:
	xinit -- :1 -query localhost -auth /root/.Xauthority

What happens is that the Ctrl-Alt-F8 display gets an X background
and an X cursor, however no kdm login dialog is displayed.  On the
Ctrl-Alt-F1 console, the following is written multiple times:

  AUDIT: Sat Dec  6 09:56:19 2003: 29803 X: client 1 rejected from local host
  Xlib: No protocol specified
  ..

until the xinit program finally dies with the following output to
Ctrl-Alt-F1:

  giving up.
  xinit:  unable to connect to X server
  waiting for X server to shut down
  xinit:  Server error.

As far as I can tell from the /etc/kde2/kdm/kdmrc, the
/etc/kde2/kdm/kdm-config, the /etc/kde2/kdm/Xaccess, and the
/etc/X11/fs/config files, kdm should be listening to
XDMCP requests.

I also get the following netstat result:
	# netstat -ua | grep xdmcp
	udp        0      0 *:xdmcp                 *:*

The commands I've tried, are:
	xinit -- :1 -query localhost
	xinit -- :1 -query localhost -cookie 1234
	xinit -- :1 -query localhost -auth /root/.Xauthority
with the same results on all commands.

The .Xauthority cookie on /root/ was created by just running xauth
with no arguments.

I have done something similar on the same machine back in March.  But
I can't remember the exact command, and it was (probably) on a
different version of XFree86.

Does this ring any bells for anyone?  Are there files I should post?
The XF86Config file?  The kdm config files?  The XFree86.1.log file?

Thanx!

- Steinar