Re: SOLVED - KDE3.1 in sid and woody

On (06/12/03 00:27), Ross Boylan wrote:
> Check http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?DebianKDE
> sid needs some help to install
> On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 11:52:22PM +0000, Clive Menzies wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I am just rebuilding Debian on my Powermac G4 having repartioned to
> > install sid as the main system but with a "/" partition to run woody as a
> > fallback (this is my main workstation).
> >
> > Both installs have worked fine (after a couple of blind alleys) and I've
> > installed various packages using aptitude (for the first time - it is
> > friendlier than dselect once you get used to it).  For the last few
> > hours I've been trying to get KDE 3.1 installed - part of the reason for
> > trying sid was to avoid backporting.
> >
> > Both the sid and woody packages seem to be partially broken.  In sid I'm
> > using the official mirrors and aptitude reports that packages are
> > broken.  In woody I'm using http://download.kde.org and the kdebase
> > package isn't downloading in full.
>
> If you mean it literally isn't downloading, then I'd suspect something
> prosaic like their server is messed up, your connection is messed up,
> or your system is messed up (e.g., disk full)!
Thanks Ross

I've been around in more circles and eventually changed the sid system
to sarge by changing the apt source.  I now have a working KDE destop
and all is fine.  I think my unfamiliarity with aptitude was partially
the cause - I think in retrospect I may have been trying to mix KDE2.x
with 3.x .....d'oh ;)

Regards

Clive

--