Re: compiling kernel for another system

On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 11:28:41PM +0100, Magnus von Koeller wrote:
> On Sunday 07 December 2003 23:11, Bill Goudie wrote:
> > The upshot of all this is that modules with unresolved symbols
> > require functions which were excluded from both the kernel and any
> > other installed modules for that kernel version. ?If for some
> > reason you built this module but don't need it, then these errors
> > can be ingored. Otherwise, I believe you will not be able to load
> > the module.
>
> So that would also mean that if you ignore these errors and boot into
> the new kernel anyway, you should still get these depmod errors?
> Because once I'd booted into the new kernel, depmod -a runs without
> errors.

Yes, I would expect the errors to still occur.  At least they did on my
system.  I accidently included an uneeded module in the last build and
I still see the same message:

    $ depmod -a
    depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.23/kernel/drivers/media/radio/miropcm20.o

So, I'm not sure what to make of your situation.  I'm must be wrong
about something.

--
There are ten or twenty basic truths, and life is the process of
discovering them over and over and over.