Re: ATI Radeon 9800 XL / XFree 4.3?

On Sunday 07 December 2003 21:11, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> Mariano Kamp wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >   I have an ATI Radeon 9800 XL card and want to use it with
> > debian/unstable Kernel 2.6.
> >
> >   From what my googling turned up so far I would need XFree 4.3?
> >
> >   In unstable I "only" found XFree 4.1.  On apt-get.org I found XFree 4.3
> > for woody. Would I be able to use it? Any other place I can go for?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Mariano
>
> The Radeon 9800 is only supported by ATI's proprietary driver
> (if you want 3D accel), available here:
>
> http://www.ati.com/support/products/workstation/firegl8800/linux/firegl8800
>linuxdrivers.html
>
> That being the case, you can stick with XFree 4.1 or 4.2, as there
> are versions of the driver for XFree 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3.
>
> The latest version supposedly works with the new 2.6 kernel, but
> I haven't tried.
Thanks very much for the information.
Actually one reason I was going for this computer was that I thought I could
get rid of the nvidia troubles and get all I need from mainstream.
From what I understand so dar that even would'nt be the case when XFree 4.3
would have been in Debian already, right?

So I need to lookup alien to get this rpm driver to work, right?

Cheers,
Mariano