Yamaha YMF-724F sound chip and midi

  I have a sound chip, which shows up like so in /proc/pci

Bus  0, device  12, function  0:
  Multimedia audio controller: Yamaha Corporation YMF-724F [DS-1 Audio Controller] (rev 3).
    IRQ 9.
    Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=5.Max Lat=25.
    Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf4000000 [0xf4007fff].

  In /etc/modules I have ymfpci entered.  I can't get midi working on
it.  XMMS and mpg123 work fine.  I tried using Timidity, which emulates
midi play on systems without midi hardware.  Here's what happens...

[15:05:26][/home/waltdnes] /usr/bin/ktimidity  h5o-end.mid
aRts init failed: can't connect to aRts soundserver
Couldn't open Network Audio Server

  Dselect shows libarts is installed.  I have Gnome and KDE installed
for the applets, but I use FVWM for my WM.  On a 450 mhz machine with
128 megs of RAM, the GNOME/KDE desktops are painfully slow.  And also, I
don't run desktops, I run applications.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>
Email users are divided into two classes;