Re: Kernel options - how to determine which are needed?

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 20:39:04 +0100,
Alf Werder <awerder@gmx.de> wrote in message
<[🔎] 1070566743.622.11.camel@penny>:

> On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 20:17, Steve Lamb wrote:
> >      I've got a machine that I do not have physical access to but
> >      would like
> > to recompile the kernel for.  As you can expect I would need to make
> >
> > absolutely sure that the kernel configuration I come up with is
> > right the first time.  Currently it is running the default kernel
> > from woody (2.2.20-idepci).  Is there any way that I can determine
> > which options are being used by that kernel at present?  I'm not too
> > concerned about sound and video, naturally, but networking is an
> > absolute must.  Unfortunately the support for the company that is
> > hosting the machine is less than stellar and they weren't very
> > helpful in telling me the specifications of what the machine has.
> > :/
>
> The file /boot/config-2.2.20-idepci holds the configuration of your
> current kernel (assuming its version is 2.2.20-idepci). Copy this file
> to /usr/src/linux-<whatever>/.config and run 'make oldconfig'. Saying
> no to all questions will give you a new kernel with exactly the old
> configuration.

.._I_ would add everything in netfilter/iptables and remove ipchains
support, and make use of iptables statefullness features, up high in
in my rule lists, seatch netfilter.org mailing lists for samples of
" -j ALLOW RELATED,ESTABLISHED " in action.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: