Kernel options - how to determine which are needed?

I've got a machine that I do not have physical access to but would like to recompile the kernel for. As you can expect I would need to make absolutely sure that the kernel configuration I come up with is right the first time. Currently it is running the default kernel from woody (2.2.20-idepci). Is there any way that I can determine which options are being used by that kernel at present? I'm not too concerned about sound and video, naturally, but networking is an absolute must. Unfortunately the support for the company that is hosting the machine is less than stellar and they weren't very helpful in telling me the specifications of what the machine has. :/