Re: compiled and installed new kernel, but dkpg does not find it

Andreas Janssen wrote:
Hello

You are using dpkg the wrong way. If you want to get information about
installed packages, leave out the filename extension. Try

dpkg -l kernel-image*

to get a list and see how they are called. Your package probably is
called kernel-image-2.4.22-nvidia

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

Thanks for the suggestion. I can list the files of the package with:
/usr/src# dpkg -L kernel-image-2.4.22-nvidia

but I get this with "-l" option:
/usr/src# dpkg -l kernel-image-2.4.22-nvidia
||/ Name                     Version                  Description
+++-========================-========================-================================================================
ii kernel-image-2.4.22-nvid 10.00.Custom Linux kernel binary image for version 2.4.22-nvidia.

But I can get a list when I grep the output of dpkg -l:
/usr/src# dpkg -l | grep nvidia
ii  nvidia-glx     1.0.4496-2.1   NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x driver
ii nvidia-kernel- 1.0.4496-2+10. NVIDIA binary kernel module for Linux 2.4.22
ii  nvidia-kernel- 1.0.4496-3     NVIDIA binary kernel module common files
ii  nvidia-kernel- 1.0.4496-2.1   NVIDIA binary kernel module source

and here I cannot see the full names of the packages :(

I am compiling new kernel because:
1) I was using 2.4.18 and wanted a new one. So I did apt-get kernel-image to get the 2.4.22-1-686
2) Fine. I also wanted the new nvidia driver
3) Downloaded the run file for the driver which complained it couldnt' find kernel headers.
4) So I download the headers, and it still couldn't find the headers
5) Did a google search and found the webpage I had mentioned earlier and followed the steps. All went well (I also get the nVidia splash scree when X starts) BUT lost my USB mouse :(

But since I could the X working nicely and had lost my USB mouse, I figured something might have gone wrong in the kernel options. So I tried to reinstall it. To do so, I was thinking if removing the kernel I had installed, but dpkg doesn't find it. So as a work around, I am compiling a newer verion witha different extraversion number.

Phew, that is my story. Probably there is an easier method, but at least if I compile the kernel myself, I can also include the nvidia driver easily.

->HS

--
(Remove all underscores,_if any_, from my email address to get the correct one. Apologies for the inconvenience, but this is to reduce spam.)