Re: compiled and installed new kernel, but dkpg does not find it

Hello

H. S. (<greatexcalibur@yahoo.com>) wrote:

> I downloaded the source for 2.4.22 and compiled it and installed using
> dpkg:
>    461  cd kernel-source-2.4.22
>    462  cp /boot/config-2.4.18-bf2.4 ./.config
>    463  make menuconfig
>    464  make menuconfig
>    465  make-kpkg clean
>    466  make-kpkg --append_to_version -nvidia kernel_image
>    modules_image
>    467  cd ..
>    468  dpkg -i kernel-image-2.4.22-nvidia_10.00.Custom_i386.deb
>

> And I am not able to make the mouse move, seems like the new kernel
> doesn't see the mouse. This new kernel was compiled because I wanted
> to use the new nvidia driver. I followed the steps given here:
> http://www.leonscape.co.uk/linux/how2-nvg4.html

You don't have to recompile your kernel to use the nvidia driver. It
should be sufficient to install and cofigure the source or install the
kernel headers package matching your kernel and then compile the
driver.

> I might have missed something in the menuconfig options (though I
> don't see what, since I copied older config to used as the new one) or
> in the editing of XF86config file. So I am thinking of compiling it
> again. But if I were to reinstall a new version of the same kernel,
> dpkg would complain about the already existing
> /lib/modules/kernel-<version-number>. To avoid this, I am thinking of
> removing the older kernel. But "dpkg -L" doesn't see the kernel I
> installed yesterday:
> /usr/src# dpkg -L kernel-image-2.4.22-nvidia_10.00.Custom_i386.deb
> Package `kernel-image-2.4.22-nvidia_10.00.custom_i386.deb' is not
> installed.

You are using dpkg the wrong way. If you want to get information about
installed packages, leave out the filename extension. Try

dpkg -l kernel-image*

to get a list and see how they are called. Your package probably is
called kernel-image-2.4.22-nvidia

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--