Re: Earthlink and Swen

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 00:11:49 -0800, Ross Boylan wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 04:52:27PM -0500, Paul Morgan wrote:
>>
>> I have no idea why you are attacking my veracity.  My statement is fact.
>
> Well, try reading a little harder.  And generally, if someone asks you
> "why is something true?" responding "because it's a fact" doesn't add
> much.
>
> First, I'm not attacking your veracity, I'm asking what the basis is
> for your statements.  Yes, I do find them a little hard to believe.
>
> Second, the reason I'm surprised is based on my own experience with
> earthlink, including their explicit statements that they weren't
> blocking Swen.
>
> What the mail you attached below is supposed to demonstrate, I don't
> know.  You don't provide any context with which to understand it.
> This is mail you sent?  received? both?
> Perhaps the statements about Earthlink Virus blocking are meant as
> proof of something, but considering how much forged stuff is floating
> around I don't think it's very strong proof.  Why would some foreign
> system be informing you about earthlink's filtering arrangements?  The
> mail is obviously filled with forged headers since the FROM doesn't
> match the return path and the TO doesn't match you (assuming the mail
> was to you).
>
> My idea of a convincing demonstration that earthlink is doing
> something useful would be that you look at what's caught in
> earthlink's filters, and see x swen's/day.

The email I attached is an example of how I receive infected emails from
earthlink: I receive the email with the infected executable removed and a
message to that effect inserted.  The rest of the email remains untouched.
 I am surprised that you were unable to "get" that.

So, what I had posted seems to fit your idea of a convincing demonstration.

And in my original post, I gave you a rough average of swens caught daily.

I had replied that you were attacking my veracity because you were.  You
chose, for whatever reason, not to believe my statement and demanded
proof.  Strangely, when I provided proof, you continued to disbelieve me.

I really don't give a toss whether you believe me or not, but I have
persevered with this thread so that others do not have a mistaken
impression of earthlink's virus filtering.

You are like *this* close to going into my Pan bozos filter.

--

"The number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected."
(The UNIX Programmer's Manual, 2nd Edition, June 1972)