Re: RAID question - dying

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 17:52:19 -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Paul Morgan wrote:
>
>> > - disks doesn't fail as often as a power supply
>> > 	-- hint.. add a nice fan for each disk
>> >

>> My experience is the opposite: I have never had a power supply fail, but I
>> have had several disks fail.
>
> everybody's experiences will be different because:
> 	- some people buy good products, some people buy cheap stuff
> 	- some people add fans where needed, some people dont
>
> 	- there are always exception to the rule of "good stuff"
> 	( like ibm's major !@#$% with their deskstar series of drives,
> 	( caused them to sell their entire disk drive division to hitachi
> 	( -- just kidding .. but the timing is good for a joke
>
> given the same system ... things that should die first would be based
> on MTBF ... ( mean time between failure ) all rated at 25C
>
> Warranty period is probably closely related to MTBF ...
>
> 	- fans ( typically no warranty ... )
>
> 	- power supplies ( some have 100,000 hrs if you believe it )
> 		which confirms Pauls experiences w/ power supply vs disks
>
> 		example: http://www.sparklepower.com/pdf/FSP300-60GRE.pdf
>
> 	- disks ( typically warrantied for 1-3 yrs )
>
>  	- cpu has an mtbf around 30,000 hrs ( about 5 yrs )
> 		http://www.Linux-1U.net/CPU/
>
> 		-- notice that your cpu lifespan dies 2x faster for each
> 		10C increase in temp
>
> c ya
> alvin

Since 1982 when I bought Chuck Peddle's Sirius 1 (Victor 9000 in the US),
I have had the following failures:

power supply: 1
hard disk drive: 4
modem: 1 (lightning)

I've been building my own machines for a number of years, and have
generally had more disks than power supplies.

At the moment, for instance, I am running 1 power supply, 1 CPU and 6
disks, so my odds in favor of a disk failure as opposed to a power supply
failure are significantly increased.

Your response was interesting, alvin, thanks.

--

"The number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected."
(The UNIX Programmer's Manual, 2nd Edition, June 1972)