Howto get SCSI to work

Hello,

I want to get my LiteOn 48x24x48x CD writer to work - and I got it working before allready with SCSI on debian;

Now, after following instructions at http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO-2.html it still doesn't work; Neither eject nor cdrecord reply in a way I understand:

root@debian:/dev# eject
eject: unable to open `/dev/scd0'
root@debian:/dev# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jörg Schilling
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are root.

Before trying to setup SCSI cdrecord -scanbus told me the LiteOn is the device on 0,0,0; Can anybody tell me how to fix this ? Please tell me which further details you need if this isn't complete.

Thanks for your help,

Joris