Re: Debian Investigation Report after Server Compromises

On 4. December 2003 at 3:22PM -0600,
"Hoyt Bailey" <hoyt13@wiredok.com> wrote:

> From: "csj" <csj@zapo.net>

[...]

> > Now I'm curious: is it possible to get rooted while on
> > dialup?  I'm thinking of a user with access to a slow but
> > dirt cheap dialup connection and so is online for significant
> > stretches, say, eight hours.  This also assumes that no
> > trojans or similar have been installed on the user's system.
> >
> FYI.  As one who has caught several virisus.  It can happen on
> dialup and it has always happened to me while downloading
> virisus definitions from Norton.com.  I dont believe that
> norton was infectied.  Therefore it came from somewhere else.
> Hoyt

Getting rooted, a "targeted" attack, is different from getting
infected by a virus.  The only *n*x viruses I've read about tend
to be proof of concept.  Of course they could be made part of an
attack...