Re: New kernel cud not detect ethernet cards

Hello

S.Palanisaravanan (<srpsaravanan@netscape.net>) wrote:

>  I am using a Debian 2.2.20-idepci kernel.Y'day i installed kernel
>  2.4.23(Since it is the latest stable one,I want to use it).I just
>  copied the my old kernels configuration
>  file(/boot/config-2.2..20-idepci) and compiled my new 2.4.23
>  kernel.Every thing is working fine except it can not detect the
>  ethernet cards.I am using two ethernet cards.
> When it is booting,the folwwing message i got
> Configuring network interfaces:
> SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
> eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
> SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
> SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No such device
> eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
> eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
> [...]
>
> In my old kernel i am able to use ethernet cards.
>
> where it is goig wrong?.Any modules are needed?.
> Or anything to do with /etc/modules.conf.
> Please help me.I am new to this area.

If you used the old configuration file, make sure you:
 - copied the file to /path/to/kernel-source/.config
 - ran "make oldconfig"

To see exactly what's going on, you first have to find out which drivers
your ethernet cards use. dmesg | less using the old kernel can tell
you. Next, find out if your new kernel has these drivers, by using make
xconfig or make menuconfig.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--