New kernel cud not detect ethernet cards

 I am using a Debian 2.2.20-idepci kernel.Y'day i installed kernel 2.4.23(Since it is the latest stable one,I want to use it).I just copied the my old kernels configuration file(/boot/config-2.2..20-idepci) and compiled my new 2.4.23 kernel.Every thing is working fine except it can not detect the ethernet cards.I am using two ethernet cards.
When it is booting,the folwwing message i got
Configuring network interfaces:
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No such device
eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device

modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module eth1
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module eth1
eth1: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module eth1
SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module eth1
SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No such device
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module eth1
eth1: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module eth1
eth1: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module eth1

In my old kernel i am able to use ethernet cards.

where it is goig wrong?.Any modules are needed?.
Or anything to do with /etc/modules.conf.
Please help me.I am new to this area.