Re: serial modem + wvdial

David Morse <svref@yahoo.com> writes:

Please don't post in html.

>           titania:/dev# wvdial speakeasy
> ---> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.53
> ---> Cannot open /dev/ttyS2: Input/output error
> ---> Cannot open /dev/ttyS2: Input/output error
> ---> Cannot open /dev/ttyS2: Input/output error
> titania:/dev#

Do the following as root:

chgrp dialout /dev/ttyS2
chgrp g+w /dev/ttyS2
chown dialout /usr/bin/wvdial
# now for each user that you want to be able to dialout
adduser [username] dialout

I had to log out and log in again for the changes to take effect for
the changes to take effect for the account I was logged into (as I
generally access the root account by using su).  Someone
else might be able to tell you a more elegant way of doing it.

--
Email address now bogus due to spam.  Take my firstname then my
surname and replace the abuse to send an email.