Re: Creating VCD from AVI

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 06:13:46PM +0200, Aryan Ameri wrote:

> I have some AVI files here, which are riped from my DVDs using acidrip
> (a frontend to mencoder). Now I want to write to a CD as a VCD, so that
> they don't took space on my hard.
>
> My googling shows that there are a couple of tools I should use.
> mjpegtools, vcdimager, cdrdao etc. However I don't quite get the
> picture that want: How can I build a VCD. What is the process of making
> a VCD, from a AVI file.

Actually mencoder comes with the mencvcd script that completely automates
the process of converting AVI to VCD.  If you need to chop it up into
smaller pieces first I recommend avidemux (which can also make VCDs, but in
my experience is more likely to have trouble with sound sync).

The problem I've seen is that with the current Sarge (you don't mention a
distribution) and the Christian Marillat mencoder-k7 and support packages,
mplex doesn't work.  However, vcdmplex and vcdimager work fine on the files
mencoder makes.
--
Carl Fink             carl@fink.to
Jabootu's Minister of Proofreading