Re: Alias help needed

Nori Heikkinen <nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu> writes:

> on Wed, 03 Dec 2003 01:57:17PM -0500, Bob Tilley (AT&T) insinuated:
>> I wish to use the expression "catl <filename>" to execute the
>> commands "cat <filename> | less".
>>
>> Is it possible to use 'alias' in the definition?
>>
>> "alias catl='cat $0 | less'" seems like a good idea, but I don't
>> know if the '$0' works in a simple alias.
>
> why don't you just use "less filename"?

Maybe he actually wants to concatenate the files, rather than see them
one at a time, which is what less(1) does.

Though $0 still wont work, since that is the name of the script. You
might want to do a function and use $* or $@ (depending on what shell is
used).

I would just type cat whatever|less. It's not that much typing.

--
Björn Lindström <bkhl@elektrubadur.se
http://bkhl.elektrubadur.se/