Re: APT::Default-Release doesn't seem to affect upgrades

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 12:53:21PM +0000, Carlos Sousa wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 07:59:44 -0700 Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 12:25:06AM -0800, Ross Boylan wrote:
> > > APT::Default-Release "testing";
> > > in apt.conf.  I do not have an apt/preferences file.
> > >
> > > When I tried apt-get upgrade (or dist-upgrade) it wanted to upgrade a
> > > bunch of packages, all from unstable.
> >
> > You've probably installed one (or more) package(s) with version(s) newer
> > than that available in testing but older than that available in
> > unstable.  With a Default-Release of "testing" you've set the priority
> > for "testing" packages to 990, and all other releases that your system
> > knows about to 500.  The problem is that installed versions that only
> > exist in /var/lib/dpkg/status get a priority of 100.
>
> As extra precaution, Ross can disable apt-get from getting packages from
> unstable unless explicitly told to by creating /etc/apt/preferences
> with the lines:
>
>    Package: *
>    Pin: release a=unstable
>    Pin-Priority: 25
>
> 25 may be replaced by any other number below 100.

Oddly, I tried that, and it didn't completely work.  Here's my
preferences file:

Explanation: Try to prevent unstable from creeping in
Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 50

When I do apt-get -s dist-upgrade it still pulls in lots of unstables.