Re: dhcpd/tftp server subservient to another tftp server

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 10:38:34 -0600,
Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote in message
<[🔎] 3FCCC00A.6070105@acu.edu>:

> I'm trying to put together a proof-of-concept thin-client Debian
> computer lab at my university.
>
> Here at the university, we have a centralized RIS (Remote Imaging
> Server? Microsoft?) that provides a means whereby Tech Support can
> instruct a client PC's BIOS to boot off the network (PXE) and then
> pull down a Windows image for that PC for a fresh "rebuild".
>
> In my test lab, I've set up a Debian box with dhcpd3 and a tftp
> server. (Be aware I don't know what I'm doing.) I've configured
> /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf to feed fixed IP addressed to specific client
> machines via their MAC layer addresses. Here's one section of that
> conf file:
>
> host bi-19x {
>    hardware ethernet 00:03:47:16:e2:58;
>    fixed-address 150.252.x.y;	# x & y to protect the innocent

..said Kent posting from 128.51.  ;-)

>    filename "/lts/2.4.22-ltsp-1/pxelinux.0";
> }
>
> When I boot the client pc ("bi-19x"), it gets the IP address
> 150.252.x.y from my dhcpd/tftp server, as indicated by the BIOS's PXE
> messages. But then, instead of finding the pxelinux.0 file on my
> dhcpd/tftp server, it finds the campus's central RIS server instead.

..this is a proof-of-concept test lab.  _Why_ does it need _public_
ip's on all nodes???  I say use 192.168.42.0/24 or somesuch,
and set up one box to route the lab boxes.  It too can boot off
your bootserver.

> How do I get my client to get my tftp offering instead of the RIS
> offering? BTW, the RIS server is on a different network segment.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: