Re: RFC: Create d-user-woody, d-user-sarge maillists, deactivate d-user

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 02:28:52 -0800, Hereon wrote:

> Request For Comment on:
>   Enhancing the Debian mailing lists by:
>   Creating debian-user-woody and debian-user-sarge mailing lists,
>   and deactivating debian-user.

> 1) The Debian user community is substantially suboptimally served
>    with the existence of the current debian-user list.

I am not convinced that this is the case, which renders the rest of your
argument a moot point.

Most would be even more suboptimally served by needing to subscribe to at
least two mailing lists in order to satisfy their needs.  That because
there is no guarantee that users would post in the correct list anyway.

Also, there is not such a clear distinction across releases that there may
once have been.  Because of the operational requirements placed on debian
installations, or the personal requirements of many individual debian
users, a significant percentage of debianers are using one of the base
releases augmented by software from other releases:  maybe old libraries
from woody in a sarge installation, or backports from sarge to woody.

Given that the classification of installations according to base
release is somewhat fuzzy, knowing in which list to search or post might
also be a dilemma.

Although your suggestion is obviously intended to help, and is by no means
completely without merit, I believe that on balance it would generate more
confusion than it would add clarity, and that the community is best
served by the one bucket in which to dump and search.

A prediction:  if debian-user was split, a substantial number of questions
would be posted in *both* lists.

Sorry to be a party pooper, but you did ask for comment :)

--

"The average lifespan of a Web page today is 100 days. This is no way to
run a culture."

Internet Archive Board Chairman