Re: Now We Are Rollin'

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 21:18:38 -0500, Paul Smith wrote:

> Heh.  The only time I ever screwed up a UNIX box (and I've been using
> UNIX for a _LONG_ time), it was actually because of Linux.

Me too.  Where the heck's /etc/bin gone? :)

> Of course, to write the image to the floppy from a SunOS box you'd use
> dd to write to /dev/fd0.  Well, one time I mistyped that as /dev/hd0
> instead.  My system didn't like that too much _AT ALL_.  :-/ :).

OK, you have definitely got me beat :>

Which just goes to show that you don't need to be dumb or inexperienced to
screw up a system.  All you need is the root password and enough time.

Logging in as root is (as is pointer arithmetic in C) like giving a small
child a loaded gun.  Sooner or later it's going to go off, and
someone is probably going to get hurt :)

--

"The average lifespan of a Web page today is 100 days. This is no way to
run a culture."

Internet Archive Board Chairman