HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted

Hi,

I finally wanted to enable dma, so did a lspci:

00:07.1 IDE interface: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] AMD-756 [Viper] IDE (rev 03)

I concluded that amd74xx would be my driver and compiled and installed
modules with the following settings:

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_FORCED is not set
CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
# CONFIG_IDEDMA_ONLYDISK is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
# CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_WIP is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ADMA100 is not set
CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y
# CONFIG_IDEDMA_IVB is not set
# CONFIG_DMA_NONPCI is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_EATA_DMA is not set

and:

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_AMD74XX=m
# CONFIG_AMD74XX_OVERRIDE is not set
# CONFIG_AMD8111_ETH is not set
CONFIG_AMD_RNG=m
CONFIG_AMD_PM768=m
CONFIG_AGP_AMD=y
CONFIG_AGP_AMD_8151=y

(But only the first two are relevant here, I guess.)

But then the disappointment:

$ modprobe amd74xx

$ hdparm -d1 /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 using_dma    =  0 (off)

Any suggestions? (The last command I did as root, of course.)

Thanks a lot in advance!

Andreas Goesele

--
Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur et non datur,
nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est.