Re: How to get away with small /var partition

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 23:21:24 +0100, Miernik wrote:

> On 2003-11-30, Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>>> I recommend making it far larger than in the Debian security doc
>>> though.  On my servers I have /boot and /usr read-only, and I've been
>>
>> You can leave /boot unmounted altogether.  The only times it needs to be
>> accessed are:
>>
>>   - At boot time, where access is direct to partition, and the partition
>>     need not be mounted (indeed, can't be).
>>
>>   - When examining kernel config files and System maps (read-only)
>>
>>   - When installing a new kernel (writeable)
>
> Show me a good reason to separete /boot to a separate partition at
> all. What's the extra security we get out of this?
> In /boot there are only the kernel images. System.map's, kernel
> config, and GRUB config.
>
> All that is writable only by root anyway (perms -rw-r--r-- root.root)
> If an attacker get's rights to write or change perms of files there,
> he can equally easy remount the partition rw.
>
> So what's the point?

Elementary System Administration and Security

Lesson #1:  Don't mount things not needed for the operation of the system

Lesson #2:  Mount things with the minimum permissions necessary for the
operation of the system.

Lesson #3: don't overcomplicate system administration by unnecessary
duplication

re. Lesson #1:
/boot is not needed for the normal operation of the system, and not
mounting it provides two security benefits:
 - it can't get accidentally or maliciously damaged
 - Conf files are the system admin's business only, but may be of interest
to persons of malice.

re. Lesson #2:
- If the sysadmin just needs to see or read /boot files, mounting it ro
reduces the risk of accidental or malicious damage.

re, Lesson #3:
- An example:  I run more than one Linux instance, each with its own /.
I also have several kernels.  If I put /boot on its own filesystem, I
don't have to duplicate it.

With regard to your comment about root access:  if someone gets root
access, *all* your system security is fscked anyway.

--

"The average lifespan of a Web page today is 100 days. This is no way to
run a culture."

Internet Archive Board Chairman