Re: Compiling kernel - problems

On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 09:55:15PM -0000, Cruncher wrote:
> I'm running Debian woody on a Pentium machine, installed from DVD and
> using kernel vmlinuz-2.4.18-bf2.4.
>
> I'm trying to play around with different kernel settings, so I thought
> I start by recompiling this one.  I installed kernel-package and
> kernel-source-2.4.18.
>
> I go to directory /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18, and then follow the
> instructions in various Debian documents.  First one is "make dep".
> This results in some errors which relate to hdc (my cdrom) the first
> one being:
>
> hdc: read_intr: status=0x59 {DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error}
>
> followed by various others and then the program exits with "Error 135".

I've read that these errors indicate something physically wrong with
your drive.  And that sometimes these errors only show up under
significant load -- which is why you may not have seen them before.
Check you logs anyway, maybe you'll find some.

Put the error message in Google and see if maybe some has described a
fix.  Maybe you'll be able to run badblocks, recreate the filesystem,
and still be able to use the drive. However, you may just have to
replace the drive.

> What am I doing wrong?

If you have already created the config, nothing I can see.

--
Never promise more than you can perform.
		-- Publilius Syrus