Re: Compiling kernel - problems

Cruncher wrote:

I'm running Debian woody on a Pentium machine, installed from DVD and using kernel vmlinuz-2.4.18-bf2.4. I'm trying to play around with different kernel settings, so I thought I start by recompiling this one. I installed kernel-package and kernel-source-2.4.18. I go to directory /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18, and then follow the instructions in various Debian documents. First one is "make dep". This results in some errors which relate to hdc (my cdrom) the first one being: hdc: read_intr: status=0x59 {DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error} followed by various others and then the program exits with "Error 135". What am I doing wrong? - C

First, go here : http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

put it on paper and follow every directions by the letter.
If you still have problems come back and post it with all the pertinent info
you can get.

Good luck

Cheers!

John