Re: Mounting disks

James Hosken wrote:

Quoting Paul Morgan <paulswm@earthlink.net>:

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 11:46:13 +0000, James Hosken wrote:

Quoting Carl Fink <carl@fink.to>:

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 07:03:57PM +0000, James Hosken wrote:

mount -t ext2 /dev/hdb5 /mnt/old-disk/

and I get the error

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb5,
      or too many mounted file systems
I'm pritty sure that it is the right file systems, I was using Mandrake
8.1
standard setup. I think the disk may be a bit dodgy. Is there any thing
that I
can do? I know there are several superblocks for this soer of thing.
Well, starting from the end:  how many filesystems do you have mounted?

Run fdisk or cfdisk on /dev/hdb and see what partition type /dev/hdb5
really is.

If it's ext2, run e2fsck on it.
Thanks for the reply, it is hdb8 that I'm really intrested in rather than
hdb5
Here's he result from fdisk

Disk /dev/hdb: 41.1 GB, 41174138880 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 5005 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/hdb1   *         117         510     3164805    b  W95 FAT32
/dev/hdb2             511        5005    36106087+   f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hdb5             511         573      506016   83  Linux
/dev/hdb6             574         604      248976   82  Linux swap
/dev/hdb7             605         986     3068383+  83  Linux
/dev/hdb8             987        5005    32282586   83  Linux

Here is the result from fsck /dev/hdb8

fsck 1.35-WIP (21-Aug-2003)
e2fsck 1.35-WIP (21-Aug-2003)
fsck.ext2: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read
while tr
ying to open /dev/hdb8
Could this be a zero-length partition?

I have run fsck on hdb5 and hdb7 as well and they come back with the same
error.
Any surgestions?
Thanks
James,

What happens if you try to mount any of these without specifying a type? And, if mount is successful, what did it mount it as?

Example - what's the output from this?

mount /dev/hdb5 /mnt/old-disk/
mount | grep /mnt/old-disk

I have tried  that before, here the output

fork:/etc/apache# mount /dev/hdb5 /mnt/old-disk/
/dev/hdb5: Input/output error
mount: mount point /mnt/old-disk/ does not exist

I know that there are multiple superblock incase one gets knackered, would using
one of these help? How do I do that?
Is there a way of finding the superblocks?

James

James,

You must have mistakenly sent this to me rather than the list.

You could run mke2fs -n ... which would tell you where it would put the superblocks if it built the filesystem (-n tells it not to actually do it). Then you could try giving one of those superblock values to mount. However, as it was built on a different system and we don't know the parameters mke2fs used to build it, there are no guarantees, but it's worth a try. See "man mke2fs".

I assume that sfdisk thinks that your partition table is OK. I mean, I assume that you are sure that the issue is the filesystem.

--

"They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but they never
kept but one: they promised to take our land, and they took it."

- Chief Red Cloud (Mahpiua Luta) of the Oglala Sioux