Mounting disks

I'm trying to mount a old disk with my /home and some other files.
I run the command

mount -t ext2 /dev/hdb5 /mnt/old-disk/

and I get the error

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb5,
       or too many mounted file systems
I'm pritty sure that it is the right file systems, I was using Mandrake 8.1
standard setup. I think the disk may be a bit dodgy. Is there any thing that I
can do? I know there are several superblocks for this soer of thing.

Help would be most appriciated at this dis does have all my data on it. I do
have a backup on CD, but it at my parents house several hundred miles away.

Thanks
James