Now We Are Rollin'

I finally fixed my XF86 problems at last.  It seems
that all I had to
do to stop both the flickering and the crashing is
lower the default
resolution and color depth.  Previously, I was running
1024x768 24-
Bit color.  Changing to 800x600 16-Bit color seems to
have done the
trick.  It's kind of a bummer not being able to use
the higher
settings (since a 4MB S3 Virge should be able to
handle it just
fine), but it is worth the trade-off, and both the
GNOME and KDE
desktops look really nice now.  Perhaps one of these
days I will
score a cheap used 8MB PCI video card at one of the
thrift stores,
then I can give the higher resolutions another go.

I also managed to get GDM configured and customized to
my tastes, and
I went ahead and set it up so I could log in directly
as root if I
feel like it.  I know that that is a security
vulnerability, but this
is my experimentation platform.  And when and if I do
start setting
up Debian systems for other people, I will of course
configure them
so that they can only operate as root by logging in
normally and then
using su to become root.  Heck, I'll be doing that for
my primary
workstation as well.

So much to still tweak now, it's hard to fecide what
to work on next.
 Actually, I think the next thing I will do is get my
Samba
configuration file properly set up.  She is visible on
the LAN
already, but I still need to define some shares, and
also set her up
so she automatically mounts shared folders on the
LAN's other three
systems (currently Windows-98 all of them) at boot
time.

After that, I think it will be time to optimize her by
deactivating
services she doesn't need to have running,
uninstalling extraneous
packages, and installing packages I may have missed
initially.

Other plans for this system will include possibly
trying to compile
the 2.4.22 kernel and then giving SE Linux a try (that
is Security
Enhanced Linux, freely available from the NSA)

http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/index.html

Anyway, it's been a good evening, Linuxwise this time
around.  Now I
can go to bed with the feeling that I have gained some
major
experience points.  :)