Re: freebsd - Re: recommended Virus Scanner?

on Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 02:08:37AM -0800, Tom (tb.31123.nospam@comcast.net) wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 01:54:38AM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
> > on Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 12:19:43AM -0800, Tom (tb.31123.nospam@comcast.net) wrote:
> > > [snip everybody]

> > > I have this belief that for any arbitrary large block of code, the
> > > # of undiscovered root exploits to be very large (I actually
> > > beleve the # to be limitless -- humans are infinitely clever).
> >
> > I have this belief that the moon is made out of green cheese and
> > that all the good ones are dead.
> >
> > Care to state the basis for your belief, or its relevance to
> > reality?
>
> I said it's intuition.  Intution is not logic.  It is not proof.  It
> is not intended to be proof.  Which makes responding to the rest of
> your arguments pointless.

An inelegant retreat, but nonetheless.

If you'd care to make a profit from your musings, you might care to
focus your attentions on the works fo Knuth and Bernstein.

Knuth pays $2.56 for each bug found in his software or books.  Given
your intuition, my intuition is that you should find this to be a
limitless income stream.

Bernstein pays $500 for each verifiable security hole in qmail.
Following the same premise as for Knuth, you should find this a
similarly lucrative opportunity.  You might find the page detailing this
offer of interest:

   http://cr.yp.to/qmail/guarantee.html

Peace.

  Backgrounder on the Caldera/SCO vs. IBM and Linux dispute.
      http://sco.iwethey.org/