Re: freebsd - Re: recommended Virus Scanner?

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003, Tom wrote:

> > > I have this belief that for any arbitrary large block of code, the #
of
> > > undiscovered root exploits to be very large (I actually beleve the # to
> > > be limitless -- humans are infinitely clever).
> >
> > I have this belief that the moon is made out of green cheese and that
> > all the good ones are dead.
> >
> > Care to state the basis for your belief, or its relevance to reality?
>
> I said it's intuition.  Intution is not logic.  It is not proof.  It is
> not intended to be proof.  Which makes responding to the rest of your
> arguments pointless.
>
> We'll see whose right :-)

"buggs" usually exists because of:
	- there are many other (code or living) stuff to do
	- silly marketing/sales deadlines
	- lazyness - boredom to write/rewirte/review the same code
	- no automated way to definitively say "this is a problem"
	- people process/proceedure for using the same code varies
	- some folks are better than others at "breaking in"
	- people are not as meticulous as needed

- people's "convenience vs security" will always highlight/amplify
  exploitable vunlnerabilities
	and in this case, what one doesn't know will hurt one day

	<forecast>
	- using dhcp, wireless, work-at-home, laptops will be the cause
	of most of the "vulnerabilities" and breakins

	- it is no longer bugs in the code aa much as it used to be
	</forecast>

- usually nothing you can do to "prevent sw buggs"...
	- hopefully, easy to prevent buggs/exploits are all taken care of

fun stuff .... keeping the "baby covered and protected" ..

c ya
alvin