Re: No NIC and No X - WTF Does It Take?

Yet another update...

This time when gdm failed to run, I went ahead and
said no when asked if I would like to try
configuring X again.  After that, I logged in as root
and again ran dpkg-reconfigure xserver-
xfree86

This time, instead of entering PCI:00:11:00 (which is
what lspci showed the video card as, I
entered PCI:00:17:00, which for some reason is where X
thinks the card is at.

Anyway, startx brought be to the KDE desktop, with a
bunch of headache-induced flickering
everytime there was disk access or I moved the mouse.
As soon as I started to do anything,
the system crashed back to the command prompt.

Here is the session log...

http://webpages.charter.net/scarletdown/Misc/XFree86.0.log

So now, my questions are:

1:  How do I make GNOME my default instead of KDE?
2:  How do I get rid of that damn flickering?
3:  Why did the X-Server crash?