Re: A web-based frontend to apt (or, configuring a new pseudo-protocol)

Jonathan Dowland wrote:

Has anyone heard of a web-based frontend to apt? What I am thinking of
is configuring a browser to accept some kind of pseudo-protocol such as
apt://package-name
'Why' you might ask? Well, I've been thinking for a long time about
different ways the archive could be organised. I've just browser through
the entire devel section looking for specific tools related to
comprehension that are somewhat drowned in the rest of the stuff
there.

If you could configure a browser in debian to accept urls of the form
apt://package-name , or perhaps something more sensible, such that a
debian user properly configured could click on the link and launch
apt-get or aptitude or similar to install the package, then we could
experiment with different ways of organising the archive through
3rd-party websites. (I would chuck together some kind of wiki-thing for
tools to support code comprehension, personally.)

If I were to skim over the above I'd start to get worries of 'security
threat' etc. however what I am proposing is not that a website could get
you to install a package hosted there, just suggest a package to be
installed- you would use your normal mirrors.

Erm yes, so, any ideas or opinions? Have I made myself clear or am I
just rambling incoherently?

There is a package dpkg-www which I sometimes use for browsing packages. It's really not that helpful though. It can be set up to do installs, etc., but I've never tried it. But it may be a starting point for you.

--

"They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but they never
kept but one: they promised to take our land, and they took it."

- Chief Red Cloud (Mahpiua Luta) of the Oglala Sioux