Re: A web-based frontend to apt (or, configuring a new pseudo-protocol)

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 04:27:17PM +0000, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
> Has anyone heard of a web-based frontend to apt? What I am thinking of
> is configuring a browser to accept some kind of pseudo-protocol such as
> apt://package-name
>
> 'Why' you might ask? Well, I've been thinking for a long time about
> different ways the archive could be organised. I've just browser through
> the entire devel section looking for specific tools related to
> comprehension that are somewhat drowned in the rest of the stuff
> there.
>
> If you could configure a browser in debian to accept urls of the form
> apt://package-name , or perhaps something more sensible, such that a
> debian user properly configured could click on the link and launch
> apt-get or aptitude or similar to install the package, then we could
> experiment with different ways of organising the archive through
> 3rd-party websites. (I would chuck together some kind of wiki-thing for
> tools to support code comprehension, personally.)
>
> If I were to skim over the above I'd start to get worries of 'security
> threat' etc. however what I am proposing is not that a website could get
> you to install a package hosted there, just suggest a package to be
> installed- you would use your normal mirrors.
>
> Erm yes, so, any ideas or opinions? Have I made myself clear or am I
> just rambling incoherently?

I've written some Perl scripts that use HTTP::Daemon to basically webify
some of my scripts, which I then drive from Mozilla via http.
I could write a full blown apache thing, but this is much
lighter-weight, and the script runs as me.