Re: Cups Problem - Restated

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 01:15:21AM +0100, Florian Ernst wrote:
> Hello Thomas!
>
> On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 01:48:46PM -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> >My printer is suddenly not available and both lpstat -p and lpadmin -p
> >ep -E result in the message
> >
> >   /usr/lib/libgnutls.so.7: no version information available (required
> >by /usr/lib/libcups.so.2)
> >
> >I am running the testing distribution and apt-get update, apt-get
> >dist-upgrade show it is completely up to date.
> >dpkg -l shows libgnutls5 0.8.8-2 and libgnutls7 0.8.9-2 are installed.
> >
> >What must I do to fix this problem?
>
> It looks like the dependencies of cupsys are slightly outdated.
> You can try to install libgnutls7 from unstable now which will also
> pull in libopencdk4 or wait until it will trickle into testing by
> itself.
>
> But are you sure this is what made your printer unavailable? I had
> mine working just fine despite this message...
>
> HTH,
> Flo

You were right, the problem is elsewhere.  Specificly, lpstat -s
reported that the printer was assigned to /dev/null !!!

When I tried to correct this I found the available device list has been
butchered.  Specifically, lpinfo -v reports only network, direct scsi
and serial devices - no parallel and no usb.

This is hard to understand.  On bootup the printer is recognized as a
usb device and escputil -i -u -r /dev/usblp0 properly reports the ink
levels.  usb support was built into the current kernel which I built on
Oct 26 and the printer was working perfectly until yesterday.

Any ideas?

Tom