Re: Setting up debian package server for installation over ethernet

On Fri, 2003-11-28 at 07:33, Vikas B N wrote:
> Hello All,
>
>  A couple of colleagues and I are planning
>  to set up an ftp/http server which hosts
>  the debian packages, so that people can
>  install Debian on their machines over the
>  office intranet.
>
>  What is the best way to go about this?
>
>  Things that we are planning are,
>
>  1.the users should be able to do an
>    "apt-get update" and the packages
>    should be fetched/updated from this
>    server on the intranet.
>
>  2.users who are migrating from windows
>    must be able to install Debian on their
>    machines. (with the use of boot floppy, etc.)

If you want to use http, set up your local repository to be served by
apache (or boa if you don't need a full-fledged server)

Or you can mount the repository through NFS and let apt treat it as
local:

   deb file:/home/debian unstable main contrib non-free

>  Also, what is the best way to keep this
>  server up-to-date? Guess, what I'm asking
>  for is like a mirror of the Debian packages...

I use apt-move (the mirror option)