Re: why not my box automatically power-off?

On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 10:06:42AM +0100, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
> On Thursday 27 November 2003 02:46, Akira Kitada wrote:
> > >
> > > I found that this didn't do me any good... Perhaps that could be
> > > it?
> > >
> > > Best,
> >
> > you mean culprit of this is "REAL_MODE"?
>
> Yep.
>
> > I don't know about it so much but I found some
> > description of this on
> > http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Battery-Powered/powermgm.html
>
> Yup! I don't know much about it either, but I struggled with it for
> about a year..., recorded in my /. journal:
> http://slashdot.org/~KjetilK/journal/12005
>
> > --
> > Use real mode APM BIOS call to power off
> > (CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF): This is a workaround for a number
> > of broken BIOSes.
> > If your computer crashes instead of powering off properly, turn this
> > on. --
> >
> > I wonder this means if you don't use "broken BIOSes", don't turn it
> > on?
>
> Yes, exactly!
>
> What I finally did was to compile APM as a module, nothing else at all.
> That worked. The simplest possibility... Meanwhile, I had been
> struggling with things like I2C to see if that had any relevance (it
> didn't), and whatnot... :-)

I took your advice.
just right now I turned on APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF,
rebuilt the kernel, and had it installed.
Now my box can power-off automatically when I issue 'shutdown -h'.
as you said the origin of my problem was that.

thank you for your good and quick advice.