Re: mailfilter: installing under Debian

On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 12:39:16AM +0100, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> tags 217452 + wontfix
> thanks
>
> "Ross Boylan" <RossBoylan@stanfordalumni.org> wrote:
>
> > Judging by my own experience and posts on debian-user, it is not
> > obvious how to set up mailfilter properly on Debian.  It would be good
> > to document this, or even to add it to the setup scripts.  I am not
> > sure to what extent it is safe to automate, but I have provided some
> > suggestions that might be good to add to README.Debian:
> [Suggestions for README.Debian]
>
> Hrm. Describes a special setup with fetchmail as a system daemon.
> That way isnt good if you have more than one user as the mailfilter
> rules then apply to both of them. Bad if a rule from user A deletes
> mail from B or similar.
> So I dont think i include your text into Readme.Debian and there is no
> good way to do automatic configuration at package install time, its not
> a thing only root configures.

Regarding the preceding paragraph, and some of the earlier comments on
debian-user about how horrible it is to run fetchmail as a system
daemon: well, maybe.  But the issue for mailfilter is how to adopt it
to whatever setup you have.  And whether the setup I have is common
enough that documenting how to handle it is worthwhile.

I ended up with the setup I have by following my nose and the
documentation on fetchmail.  I may have done something a little
unusual because I wanted fetchmail to run whenever my ppp went up.
But I wasn't trying to be perverse, and I thought I was following
either the Debian recommendations or the package's.

If so, it seems likely to me others have done so, and it would be good
to tell them how to get mailfilter working.

If the documents are recommending something for the fetchmail setup
that is bad practice, then the documents should be changed.  I no
longer remember how much of what I did was my own invention, so I
don't know if there's anything wrong with the documents (or with what
I did, given essentially a single-user system).