Re: Xresources & Xdefaults documentation

on Sat, Nov 22, 2003 at 12:39:55AM +0200, Micha Feigin (michf@post.tau.ac.il) wrote:
> Can someone recomend so documentation about Xresources & Xdefaults.
> I found some examples floating around but the exact syntax eludes me.
> I tried googling, looking in the HOWTO directory and apropos but it
> seems like I am not finding the right document.

Generally:

    resource: value

...and '!' is the comment character.

Note that resources have compound parts.

I picked up a copy of O'Reilly's _X Window System User's Guide_ some
years ago.

/me thinks.  Sheesh.  Eight years already....

...which has a pretty good set of docs on X Window System Resources.
Most of which you can get from "man X" as suggested.  The book is
probably overkill now, and largely obsolete, but I'm happy to have it.

For most applications which use the Xt toolkit (fewer these days, though
a lot of stuff outside GNOME and KDE does), the app's own manpage should
list resources.  The manpages for xterm, twm, xclock, and xload should
provide some decent clues.  There may be sample resource files in
/etc/X11/Xresources/

Peace.

    - Benjamin Franklin, 1755