Joe-Jobbed, was [unsubscribe]

On Sat, 2003-11-22 at 21:11, L.F. wrote:
> It took me some time but it has worked. Debian has unsubscribed me. I think
> Debian is derious. Now I am not receiving any mail from
> Debian but I keep receiving a lot of e-mails from many other places:
> zqgjskia_kltai@updates.msn.com, lmaildaemon@bigfoot.com,
> lmaildaemon@bigfoot.com,mailservice@america.com,
> sbhemjjvpqlroae_qvczbpc@advisor.msn.net, postrobot@aol.net, postrobot@aol.net,
> mailerroutine@freemail.com, emailengine@yahoo.com, tmailautomat@aol.com,
> microsoft (without any identification, so it is impossible to send any e-mail
> to them),orvucqxnwu@bulletin.com, ymtoetulm_znfn@technet.ms.net,
> fzjtztoobuvg@updates.com, hsegoalnltlyzyh@newsletters.com,
> xmailprogram@america.com, etc.
looks like the e-mail with which you subscribed was used for a joe-job.
(some-one/-thing used your e-mail-adress as from for broadcasting spam
or viruses)
nothing too uncommon around here.

> I sent them an e-mail with a petition "Please don't send me any e-mails
> because I am not interested in getting messages from you and I have not asked
> you to send me any messages.Thank you." but they were sent back to me because
> they could not be delivered to the recipients for various reasons.
> What a cheat!
> When I subscribed to Debian those organizations sent me e-mails with those I
> got from Debian. I thought that they were sent by Debian, but now that Debian
> doesn't send me any more e-mails, these organizations keep sending me e-mails
> that I never wanted.  It seems to me that it is another sort of spam but how
> is it that Microsoft is involved in such dubious methods? I say Microsoft or
> somebody working for Microsoft because they send you critical packs from
> Microsoft, so Microsoft allows it or condones it.
they're not. from-header are easily forgeable. those "securtiy updates",
with attachment of about 140kb, are swens.

> I think that that the Internet needs to defend the users and it is not so
> difficult for Governments or whoever to penalize these con men because it is
> easy to track them down. Somehow spasm is here to stay because those who can
> do something about it don't seem to care.
you got a point there.

> Even filtering the messages doesn't work; the con men seem to know better.
> What a messy business!
> If they think that people are going to listen to them trying to use dubious
> methods, I think they are quite wrong. People get angry when somebody sends
unfortunately they're not. if there wasn't a profitbringing amount of
people buying the kind of stuff spammers advertise there would be no
spammers.

> them ads or messages that are not wanted. I think that everybody has the
> right to send a message to somebody once but if that other person doesn't
> answer, they shouldn't send any more; and besides that, the e-mail address
> they use should receive messages from people who tell them not to send them
> any more messages.
> The only way available is to eliminate all of them from my server. That works
> wonderfully. Thanks God there is always a way where there is a will.

well, welcome to the club.

Michael

--
If you don't care where you are you ain't lost!