Re: Future transit from testing to stable with sarge possible?

On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 07:57:24AM +0100, Tobias Reckhard wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've got a couple of systems running on Debian sarge/testing and would
> prefer to have them on stable, but with the upcoming transition of sarge
> to stable, it's not worth the effort to reinstall the machines using
> woody, since I hope to be able to stick with sarge and thereby transit
> from testing to stable seemlessly. Am I being naive or is it sufficient
> to replace 'testing' with 'sarge' in /etc/apt/sources.list?

There's an article that might help:

http://www.debianplanet.org/node.php?id=880

It may be more painful for you, though, since sarge now is quite ahead
of woody.  I once did a downgrade from sid->sarge, basically I just
uninstalled everything besides the most basic stuff, and then I started
a process of doing apt-get install -t stable on them (sort of automated
it by processing dpkg -l's output), working out individual problems as
they came along, using apt-get install -f, etc.  It took a bit of manual
labor I guess you'd say, but it worked out pretty well for me.

--
Nick Welch aka mackstann | mack @ incise.org | http://incise.org
Trying to establish voice contact ... please ____yell into keyboard.