Re: installed qmail, apt-get always trying to re-install MTA

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 02:28:40PM +1100, Ross Tsolakidis wrote:
> I recently installed qmail, I removed Exim just to be sure.
> Everything is now running fine.

If everything is "running fine", then why the posting?

> The problem I'm having is every time I try and install another package,
> it always attempts to re-install exim.
> For example, "apt-get install apache", it will attempt to install Exim
> etc..

No, it's attempting to install a package that provides the
'mail-transport-agent' dependency, for which exim is the prime candidate.
Other candidates that provide this are postfix and qmail.

That's right, qmail.

> Is there anyway of stopping this ?

Yes, instead of deliberately breaking the package dependency system, use
the qmail-src package, which will build you a deb that satisfies the
dependency, as well as giving you the same facility with adding and
removing the software as the exim package has.

You broke it, you get to keep both pieces.

--
 Marc Wilson |     No question is so difficult as one to which the
 msw@cox.net |     answer is obvious.