Re: XDM can't shutdown

On Sat, Nov 22, 2003 at 11:09:48PM +0100, Otto Wyss wrote:
> I've installed XDM to get directly into X after starting but XDM doesn't
> allow for a shutdown. How can this be changed or are there better
> alternatives to start X without installing Gome or KDE?

unless you're totally fixated on starting into x, dump xdm, apt-get
xbase-clients to get hold of startx. there's a whole slew of alternative
window managers to choose from. check the mail archives for recent
appraisals of quite a few. download a few and use "update-alternatives --config x-window-manager" to get to a menu that will allow you to select between what you've got available. then use startx to fire it up.

apart from that, what's stopping you from doing an su to root in an
xterm, and then "shutdown -h now"?

ben