Re: A web interface for apt-get upgrade

Mark Roach wrote:
On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 01:04, rajkumars@asianetindia.com wrote:

Hello,

I have a few machines running woody, each running slightly different
package sets. Now to upgrade them I have to ssh into each of them and
do the update/upgrade cycle. I do not want to put this in cron.

how about putting:
apt-get update -qq && \
apt-get upgrade -s | grep ^Inst | mail -e -s "hostname" your@email.com

in cron?

Look into the package cron-apt.  It basically does
apt-get update && \
 apt-get --download-only --yes dist-upgrade
and emails the results to whatever address you want.

Also the following lines in /etc/apt/apt.conf are useful:
  // always list packages to be upgraded
  APT::Get::Show-Upgraded "true";

This still leaves you with having to ssh into each machine and run apt-get dist-upgrade manually, but it will tell you when it needs to be done, and the packages will already be downloaded ready to install.

Randy