Re: Need a user-friendly, low-requirement desktop

On 25 Nov 2003, Kent West wrote:

[snip]

> I, too, like icewm. It's got the Windows-like taskbar at the bottom (or
> top, or hidden in either place) that shows the different apps you have
> running, so switching between them is easy. (You'll want the icepref
> package if you want to configure icewm, unless you want to tweak the
> config files manually.) There are three "disadvantages" to icewm:
>  1) The menus aren't drag-n-drop like with something like KDE's menus,
> so modifying the menus aren't as easy (icemenu might help).
>  2) No desktop icons without another package that provides that
> capability (actually, I'm not so sure this is a disadvantage).
>  3) No integrated file manager (again, I'm not so sure this is a
> disadvantage).
>
> --
> Kent

Whether or not icewm is like Windows I don't know, since I've only used
the opposition occasionally and happily can't remember much about it.
But although I flirt with other window managers from time to time I
always come back to icewm in the end. I agree with Kent's comments
above: I dislike KDE (and probably Gnome, though I haven't used it) and
don't want drag-and-drop or icons. What I particularly like about icewm
is the menu you can call up with ESC-CTRL. You don't need the mouse for
this; you just press the highlighted letter to access the relevant app,
And items on the menu can be easily deleted or new ones added simply by
editing one file.

Anthony

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic