Re: Need a user-friendly, low-requirement desktop

Conrad Newton wrote:
From Alex Malinovich on Tuesday, 2003-11-25 at 05:58:25 -0600:

I've finally managed to get a few friends and family members with very
little computer knowledge to switch to Linux.
<snip>

In this particular case, however, I'm dealing with a Pentium 233 MHz
with 32 MB of RAM. While I'd love to put Gnome and Nautilus on there and
call it a day, waiting 10 minutes for the desktop to load and another 2
minutes for the file-manager just won't cut it I'm afraid.

Same specs as my old laptop.  I would recommend icewm or xfce.
icewm has a smaller footprint, plus in appearance it is more like windows, so maybe it is the best pick.

I, too, like icewm. It's got the Windows-like taskbar at the bottom (or top, or hidden in either place) that shows the different apps you have running, so switching between them is easy. (You'll want the icepref package if you want to configure icewm, unless you want to tweak the config files manually.) There are three "disadvantages" to icewm: 1) The menus aren't drag-n-drop like with something like KDE's menus, so modifying the menus aren't as easy (icemenu might help). 2) No desktop icons without another package that provides that capability (actually, I'm not so sure this is a disadvantage). 3) No integrated file manager (again, I'm not so sure this is a disadvantage).

--
Kent