Re: apt-get update not working properly 11/21/03

red wrote:
> All, Im getting this from many of my my deb boxen
> any ideas?
> [...]
> Err http://security.debian.org stable/updates/contrib Packages
>   Could not connect to security.debian.org:80 (194.109.137.218). -
> connect (111 Connection refused)
> [...]
> I would think that box would be redundant ?
> am I wrong?

Martin Schulze <joey@infodrom.org> posted this to
debian-announce@lists.debian.org and it should be in the archive
there.  But since the mailing list server itself was affected I am
posting a link Karsten reported earlier to a different site.

  http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/files/fw/debian-security-20031121.txt

The archive was not compromised.  Pulling the emergency stop on the
servers was a social responsibility.  It will take a little time for
people to work the problem and to return everything to service.
Please be patient and have some confidence in the Debian team.  They
appear to be taking due care and making progress.  I expect things
will return to normal shortly.

I personally suspect, but have no information, social engineering at
work here such as the recent attack on the linux-kernel.org cvs tree.
People are becoming weak link and are less secure than the programs we
run.

  http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0311.0/0621.html

The number of attacks targeting free software is increasing.  The
system worked to prevent serious problem.  But it does show that care
must be taken to ensure security and that it can't be taken for
granted.

Bob