Re: Newbie installation query

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Dr. Sharukh K. R. Pavri. wrote:

> I am a former RedHat user and now want to try out Debian. I have dabbled in
> debian before but have always messed up, usually in the installation
> (using dselect). Plus, I only got kde 2.2 even after I updated the woody
> install. This time I decided I would rough it out :).
>
> After reading up on the net, I did just a base install of woody, then ran
> the go-woody script so that I would be able to download and use more
> recent software (like kde 3.1.4 as in knoppix.).
>
> I now have a base install of testing (I think). I have cable internet (but
> a limited download allowance) and would like to have a proper debian
> system with X window system and kde.  What is the way to go ? should I
> fire up tasksel and let the system download the software ? Or should I go
> with apt-get'ing the individual softwares and let apt manage the
> dependencies ?

I think all of those altenatives (tasksel, dselect, apt-get) end up being
equivalent with the exception of the user interface. I don't like tasksel
myself because I like a little more control over what's installed and
frankly I've been using dselect so long that's just the way I do it.  So I
would recommend that you use dselect and let it manage the dependencies
for you. If you have trouble with it, start slowly and just get a few
packages at a time to gain some experience with it. I think it really
works well, although there are frequent complaints about it. What I like
about it is that it shows you the conflicts/dependencies as you select
packages for installation/removal.

apt-get also works fine, you just don't get the feedback of the effect of
adding/removing a package that you get with dselect, but of course it
does the same conflict/dependency resolution.

Depending upon your experience level, I might recommend that you get a
basic X windows install working, say with a basic window manager like twm
and then add all the KDE (or gnome) stuff you want. It would also help
even out your download so as not to exceed your quota.