Re: apt-get etiquette

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 10:56:50PM +0000, RichardA said
> I'm a Mandrake user hoping to trade up. As such, I expect to break my
> install beyond my capacity to fix it at least a few times.
> Does it matter that I upgrade from stable to unstable,

Well, unstable does break, and you need to know how to use the basic
tools to fix it: dpkg, ar, apt, sometimes even editing the maintainer
scripts in /var/lib/dpkg/info/ (carefully!).

> and pull many
> packages from the server, each time?

if you mean "will upgrading lots of packages at once increase the chance
of things breaking horribly?", then not really.

> Is there a (n easy) way to use a
> local cache?

apt-proxy works well enough, most of the time.

> Once up and running, how often should I update? Every night?

Depends on how often you can be bothered to sit through a dist-upgrade.
I find I only bother every few weeks, nowadays, unless there's something
I really want right away, or some serious bug has been fixed.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:         unclassified Ermes class struggle Hacker SCUD missile