Re: dselect makes me feel like an idiot

On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 01:36, tripolar wrote:
> I open dselect and search / for nvidia
> 3 choices come up. i enter return a few times, get to "install" enter
> then this comes up
> Why are all these kde programs being removed? Am I not doing something right?
> Thanks
>
> "Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   ark kappfinder karbon kate kcalc kcharselect kchart kcoloredit kcontrol
>   kcron kdebase-bin kdebase-kio-plugins kdelibs-bin kdelibs-data kdelibs4
>   kdepasswd kdeprint kdesktop kdf kdict kedit kfind kformula kghostview
>   khelpcenter khexedit kicker kiconedit kit kivio kjots klipper kmail
>   kmenuedit knewsticker knode koffice koffice-data koffice-libs konqueror
>   konqueror-nsplugins konsole korn koshell kpackage kpager kpaint
>   kpersonalizer kpresenter kruler ksirc ksmserver ksnapshot ksplash kspread
>   ksysv ktimer ktip kugar kuser kview kwin kword libarts1 libartsc0
>   libkdenetwork2 libkonq4 lpr secpolicy
>   cupsys-bsd devscripts drscheme fakeroot junior-programming kdebase-doc
>   libarts libncurses5-dev libreadline4-dev libruby1.8 mzscheme nvidia-glx-src
>   nvidia-kernel-common nvidia-kernel-src ruby1.8
> The following packages will be upgraded
>   libruby ruby
> 2 upgraded, 15 newly installed, 69 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 11.0MB of archives.
> After unpacking 110MB disk space will be freed.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n"

dselect has a "feature" (the usefulness of which is constantly debated)
which automatically makes some "intelligent" (see above comment) choices
for you about upgrading packages. (Similar to doing an apt-get
dist-upgrade, though I'm not sure if it's the same or not)
Unfortunately, one missing dependency can cause dselect to try and
suddenly uninstall a whole slew of important packages.

This is why for doing little things like installing one or two packages,
it's generally better to use apt-cache and apt-get. I generally only use
dselect when I want to do a system-wide upgrade. (For which I find it to
be infinitely better than an apt-get dist-upgrade due to the opportunity
to review any impending additions removals and the chance to make
changes.)

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837